Buying Japanese Silk  

Posted by MeganH

Just about to go to bed, I just HAD to type in "buy Japanese silk" into Google after reading mentions of it recently in Mary Corbet's blog. My Google is set to Australian pages, so might come up with different results to other Googles.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/33556709@N00/discuss/72157594206565570/ 

has heaps of links (some dead) to various shops all over the world (a lot in Etsy - great place!) of sellers of Japanese silk.

The best I've seen so far (only gotten so far in the list) is Purl Bee. I'm seeing a lot of Japanese silk, but I want plain, not printed! They have heaps of colours!

I am making the assumption here that any Japanese silk is suitable for embroidery. I don’t know – I’d ask of a particular seller first.

Enjoy, and G'nite!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Hi Megan, Japanese silk comes in a hugh variety of weights from the very light weight that may be used as a kimono lining, for example, throught to very heavy, stiff silks that are used for obi linings.

In theory they are all suitable for embroidery but, as with any fabric, you need to pick a suitable weight for the technique. In Japanese embroidery we don't use a backing fabric (but there is no reason for you not to do so). The obi fabrics tend to be heavier than kimono silk and are substantial enough to support heavy embroidery, including gold work, without a backing fabric.

June 30, 2011 at 6:38 AM

I'm sure that many of the shops would be able to advise, as well.

July 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Hi Megan, I have posted close-ups of the Elizabethan book cover on Stitchin Fingers for you to look at.
You can click on the main photos (bottom right) to enlarge then click on the photo itself to get a close-up.

July 4, 2011 at 2:38 AM

Post a Comment