Extracting the colours from an image of an embroidery  

Posted by MeganH in

I'm nosing around for a new project at the moment, (yes, I know, weeks ahead) and having picked one possible extant item as a prospect, I went to work extracting the colours from the image. This was just for fun, and to have a bit of a play.

Of course, working out the colours by eye isn't impossible, but it's maddening when there are lots of colours close together. Plus, being close together, the appearance of a particular hue (did I get that right?) is affected by the hues that surround it.

I discovered an awfully useful link -
http://www.templatelite.com/color-scheme-palette-generators-pickers/   

It lists 30 plus scheme generators and other color tools. So far, they've all been free, except one that had a 15 day trial period.

So far, I like the Colors_Pallete_Generator (free) the best. It generated  49 colours. (The most I got from the others I tried was up to 10).


Of course, I'll print out all the schemes, and compare them to the image before actually picking the colours. But I find having automatically generated colour schemes a great way to start off picking out the correct colours on an extant embroidery :-)

This entry was posted on Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 5:39 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Those of very useful tools, I agree. And yes, "hues" is right. That's colour. The dark-to-light (greyscale) continuum is referred to as "tone".

Yep, got that from my mother!

June 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I love this tool you found! Now I am off to play with colors to see what to use for painting the rooms in my house (when I finally get it).

June 21, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Post a Comment