Cheap copies of "Mira Calligraphae Monumenta"  

Posted by MeganH in

I mentioned in my last post, on the Green Man, having the Mira Calligraphae Monumenta as a design source.

If you've looked up the prices of the book, and fainted - yes, this is the most expensive book I own. But there are 3 paperback 'extract' books taken from it - one on the calligraphy, one on the pen art and "Nature Illuminated" (the one that would interest us) - $10ish on Amazon for the hardback.

"Nature Illuminated reproduces forty-one pages from the original codex. Those who love and collect beautiful books will be endlessly fascinated by Hoefnagel's imagery and invention. The accompanying commentary identifies and explains the details of Hoefnagel's exquisitely crafted illuminations." (Amazon)
 

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 6, 2011 at 1:24 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

This is the one I have out of the library. I love it! I may need to suggest the whole thing as a birthday gift.
You would have loved the giant 3-D winter man that was based on Arcimboldo - the photo on the National Gallery web site doesn't do it justice. I love the fish man - I think that series is my favourite.

August 6, 2011 at 3:33 PM

One of these days I'm going to do something that includes a snakeshead fritillary like the one in the picture....
Heavens, another project for the list!

August 8, 2011 at 6:28 AM

Awsome. After you told me about the book, I checked into it on Amazon (and did nearly faint.). I saw the $10 book but thought it mightn't be any good.

Thanks again!

August 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Well it does have 40 odd botanical plates from the book in fine reproduction. They were a lot more expensive when they (the extract books) first came out - around $40 from memory - it's just that they've been around for awhile now....

August 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Post a Comment