Christmas! II  

Posted by MeganH

In addition to receiving the Ductus software from Nick, I also received some lovely calligraphy-related presents from Meisterin Katarina Helene ;

  • "Medieval Hunting Scenes : The Hunting Book by Gaston Phoebus"

which is excellent for it's diaper work, and also if you want to copy a medieval dog or two.

  • "The Bedford Hours" by Janet Backhouse
Wahoo!

This is where I should explain something. I'm actually doing a script analysis of the Bedford Hours and Psalter, not the Bedford Hours (they are two different manuscripts). I'll talk about that in a seperate entry.

She also gave me a present I just adore - a hand made book with a 16th C limp binding made of vellum!

And opened out :-


Note the buttons on the spine to wrap the strings around to close.
I had to put it in my scanner, so the pictures aren't very good. It's a pity the details of the stitching on the spine aren't clearer.

The paper is calligraphy paper - perhaps Arches HP? And the book is quite thick.

The cover is made from vellum. I've talked to Katarina Helene and she says that with a little very fine sandpaper-ing, I'll be able to paint an illuminated letter on the front. :-)
I'm very much looking forward to doing that.

Thankyou so much, Katarina Helene, and thankyou so so much for all of your help

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 at 10:00 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment