Embroidered Book Cover - Design Outline Finished  

Posted by MeganH in


I've run out of DMC stranded metallic thread, so can't do any more stalk, outlining or border for the moment.

What I have done is tacked where I want the rest of the stalk (with some little curliques) to go, and drawn in the final leaf (similar to the one with the jagged edges and red heart). There will be the paillettes as well in the background.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 6:41 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I like very much this embroidery. Congratulations!!
Happy Christmas an New year 2008!

December 21, 2007 at 5:45 AM

Strawberries--I don't think it's a problem, since there are lots of varieties of strawberries and not all have that really obvious trefoil (the toothiness varies, too). Those are just the strawberries I'm really used to. I have a facsimile of a botanical catalog from the early 1600s and some pictures of strawberries embroidery filed away--I'll try to find/scan those (I'm about to start on a strawberry book cover for a friend, so I have been thinking about strawberries a lot lately). There's a fragment of a polychrome jacket with strawberries in the V&A (T.259-1926) which has fairly stylized leaves. The book cover you referenced here would be the other one that comes to mind (single leaf with three lobes, which I guess is more accurate than leaflets--I'm embarrassingly bad with botanical terminology for someone supposedly studying paleobotany).

Anyway, I think you've got lots of flexibility on strawberry leaves, since there's a lot of variation in the plants and the level of stylization of Elizabethan embroidery. Yours look good, especially in the context of a styled plant that's also got pinks growing out of it. I was mostly pointing out that the Elizabethan trefoils with the strawberries are (probably) strawberry leaves.

Your book cover is amazing! I envy your embroidery skills.

December 30, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Er, the comment from m. would be me.

December 30, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Post a Comment