Rust Red Iris, The Beginning  

Posted by MeganH in

I have already started on my new embroidery project.

It's the "Rust Red Bearded Iris" from Trish Burr's Long and Short Stitch Embroidery Book.

This is being made for my friend Sally for her birthday in August


I'm doing it on a piece of linen which has a 2 inch edge of cutwork lace. (It's a bit crumpled in the scan)


This is backed with muslim, and the lace is currently rolled up and bound up with the muslim to protect it and keep it clean while I embroider, just leaving the plain linen area in the middle exposed, where the iris will go. I put a couple of extra strips of muslim down the sides to further protect the linen.

I've

  • transferred the design (oh, *wonderful* transfer paper, rather than free hand drawing, and on a smooth material),
  • drawn in the directional lines in pencil
and
  • started on the left hand side bud.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 8:44 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

Dragonsally  

jumps up and down with excitement.

It is going to be soooooo beautiful

*grin*

February 20, 2008 at 1:29 AM

That is so lovely

February 20, 2008 at 4:38 AM

It's looking great! I really like her complicated approach to shading on these.

February 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM

I'm already having "fun" with the blending of the gold, brown and light yellow in the lower part of that bud.

But it really is fun.

Thankyou everyone - and won't you enjoy watching it progressing, Sal!

February 20, 2008 at 11:30 AM

looking forward to watching your progress

February 20, 2008 at 11:48 AM

The shading looks lovely!

February 21, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Thankyou Racaire!

I'm going to have fun with all those lovely mahogany/terracotta colours :-)

February 21, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Post a Comment