Historical Sampler – The Design  

Posted by MeganH in

I was looking at having either one or two repeats of the original design.

One repeat – the motifs came out a bit too big.

Two repeats joined together – didn’t leave me much space between the vines to put in leaves (unless I wanted to use tiny rose leaves like in the original design, which I don’t)

So I compromised.

I laid one repeat over the top of the other and did a join, missing out what would have been the middle and then sized it to the scoll frame (with 3 cm borders all around).

This took quite a lot of work, since the original image was slightly side on (so the book spine could be seen) so I started with 1/4 of one repeat, replicated, flipped it 3 ways, joined it together, scanned and printed another copy, matched up the join, took a photo of it (since by then it wouldn’t fit on my scanner) and then re-sized it. It took me awhile to get the process right and I currently have a lot of copies of the design at various sizes and configurations floating around *grin*

book_cover_real_size

Next thing to do is to correct the flowers (circles) that have gone a bit ovoid during the joining of the quarters, so I can see how they really sit in the framework of vines.

(I don’t think I’ll actually trace the circles onto the linen.)

Also, some of the vine connections need a touch of adjusting – I need it perfect before I trace it off onto the linen.

I made an order from ThreadNeedle St, including

29-30 Count Legacy Linen
Parchment,
Fat Quarter                                                                                                                   and am currently working on a huge list of the supplies I’ll need, and whether to get them in Australia or import them from the U.S., based on price.

This entry was posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 at 3:48 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment