I’ve skipped two posts on how I finished the Butterfly (coming up!) but I had a question I wanted to ask of y’all.

Here he (she?) is :

IMGP0322

I think the purple body (done in raised stem stitch band) is a bit plain. But it’s going to be just about impossibly to embroider *into*. The rows of packed stem stitches will get all mucked up.

I’ve considered couching over the top in copper Kreinik, but I don’t know what pattern to use since the body changes in shape so much.

Any ideas? Or do you think it’s ok as it is?

Do you know what the head is made of? *grin*. It was easier than I thought!

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 2:13 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I agree that the body needs some detail to help "finish" it.

Two suggestions:-
What about Cloud Stitch? That produces a net-like effect that would probably cope with the changes of shape.
Or
If you use a fine copper-coloured embroidery thread, and a blunt needle, you might be able to use the stem stitches as a foundation in some way, and work a few rows of chain stitch or stem stitch across the body to suggest segments..

You might find that something else will occur to you once you've had a few comments..

June 27, 2011 at 3:44 AM
Lisa Tressler  

Hi, I've visited your blog a few times now and really enjoyed it. Your butterfly is beautiful. If you wanted to give the body more detail, you could just couch some of the gold down over the purple to divide the body into each of it's segments, similar to how you divide each of the wing segments.

July 6, 2011 at 6:18 AM

Lisa, I've thought about that - but decided that I wanted an overall filling. Maybe add segment marking on top of the filling? We'll see...

Thanks SO much for your suggestion. :-)

July 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Post a Comment